Sunday, September 28, 2014

Adverse Reaction

Wow. Just wow. Antibiotics are supposed to make you feel better, right?? Not this time; not for me.

Let me back up... I skipped my planned 5-mile run on Thursday night (reluctantly) because I knew I had something coming on. I will spare you the details, but suffice it to say I was first in line at the Minute Clinic on Friday morning. Got in right at 8:30 and was out by 9 with a prescription for Bactrim and the reassurance of the nurse practitioner that I'd be good as new in the morning, and ready to tackle my 8-mile training run.

I headed off to work and took my first dose of antibiotics around 9:45. I ended up heading back home a couple hours later to work from the couch for the rest of the day because I was feeling exhausted.

Fast forward to dinner time, I took my second dose and suddenly felt very nauseous. I had oatmeal for dinner because all I wanted was carbs. I managed to get through baking and icing 2 dozen cupcakes (in addition to getting kiddos ready for bed) since I was planning to host a birthday party for my just-turned-2-year-old baby girl.

By 9 pm, I was miserable. Stomach cramps, nausea...every horrible GI symptom you can imagine. I couldn't even stand up straight. I was waling around the house hunched over.

By 11, I had the chills and called the 24/7 nurse line on my insurance card for advice. The poor nurse on the other end was pretty concerned and told me to drink lots of water and not take another dose of Bactrim without checking with the doctor in the morning because my symptoms were consistent with an adverse reaction to the medication.

Saturday night was one of the longest nights of my life. I slept in 10 minute intervals, in between running to the bathroom. It wasn't until 5:30 am that I fell asleep in the overstuffed chair and got a full hour of sleep before the kids got up.

Once I was up, I emailed/texted all the birthday party invitees and told them the party was off. I was too sick.

Then Daddy took the girls to swim class, and I slept for almost 2 hours. I felt SO much better! (Relatively speaking of course.) The girls were horribly disappointed about the party, and honestly I felt guilty, so I got back to everyone and said it was back on if they could still make it.

So we did it! We threw a small, low-key party for the birthday girl. Everyone had a great time, and I managed to hold it together for the most part. I finally had to go lay down while the last couple guests were still on the sun porch having drinks and chit-chatting with the hubby.

I got a good night's sleep last night, and felt significantly better all day today. I even went for a jog and hit up a Pure Barre class. I still have a few lingering unpleasant side effects, and not much of an appetite (I ate lunch at 1:45 and it's now 9:45 and I haven't really eaten anything since).

I've got another week of "travel" ahead - driving about an hour north of home and staying at a resort for a few days for a company meeting. Could be worse, I suppose! Going to miss daddy and the girls, though. Oh, and Pure Barre too! :) 

Mini-me #1 and mini-me #2
I hope your weekend was a little better than mine!

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment