Sunday, October 12, 2014

Vertigo, Scones, and Running - Oh My!

Once again, the weekend completely got away from me! And now it's Sunday night and I have to go back to work tomorrow while daddy and the girls hang out at home on Columbus Day. Booo.

Backing up to Friday... Friday was just plan weird. It started with a random meltdown from Baby Girl when I dropped her off at daycare. She rarely ever cries when I drop her off. I should have taken this as a sign to just turn around and go home.

I got to the office, made some coffee, and got down to business as usual. Around 10:45, I went to use the ladies room and when I came out, I felt like the room was spinning. I walked past my boss's desk on the way back to my desk and kind of mumbled, "Wow, I just got really dizzy. I think I need to sit down." I started to fall sideways as I tried to sit but managed to catch myself and land in my chair. WTH?! Definitely the first time I have ever had vertigo like that. I took a few deep breaths and some sips of water and pulled myself together.

Almost as soon as the vertigo was gone, I felt a splitting headache coming on. Apparently vertigo can be an early symptom of a headache. Who knew?! Not me. At least not until I Googled it.

Again - should have known something bad was looming.

3pm rolled around and I got a call with some really awful news that threw me for a loop. I left the office, knowing that I wouldn't be able to focus for the rest of the day. I drove around for a bit and ended up at Starbucks where I sat and reflected for a bit before picking the kids up.

Later that evening, I needed a distraction so I did the only sensible thing I could think to do - I baked. More specifically, I baked pumpkin scones.

I used this recipe but subbed in brown sugar instead of white and pumpkin pie spice instead of straight ginger.
I went to bed around 9 - mentally exhausted and needing to rest up before my early morning run.

Daddy had to leave for work at 6:45am, so I was up and at 'em at 4:40. I changed into my running gear, ate a scone and a half, did a little stretching and was out the door at 5:14. I can usually tell within the first 2-3 minutes how well my run is going to go. I felt great when I started out - almost unusually great. And I could tell it was going to be a good one (despite the humidity and fairly warm temperature).

The moon was really bright, which was great considering I was out there more than 2 hours before the sun was due to come up.

Crushed it. I credit the pumpkin scones.

It sounds crazy, but I really enjoyed being up and out so early in the morning. There is a huge sense of accomplishment that comes along with completing a long run before the rest of the family (and the sun!) are up.

I spent the rest of the day hanging with my girls.

Donuts at the farmers market!
Swim class + Trader Joe's = total exhaustion

We also had some friends over for vegan takeout, wine and conversation. Very fun and very much my speed!

To close out the weekend, I did a 3.5-mile recovery run, a trip to Sam's Club ($$$$!!!), and an afternoon Pure Barre class.

My mind is in a little bit better spot than when I left the office on Friday. I am focusing on this thought:

Not every potential health condition is in my control, but I can and will keep myself in fighting shape to face whatever may come my way in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment